Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Mommy Wars & Palin

The newest addition to the McCain ticket is causing quite a stir. Is it a new mommy wars? Women are judging her for making HER own choices. Apparently THEY wouldn't make the same choices, which is fine but they are Palin's choices to make. I just wonder if she was a man, would they be making the same comments? Or have then even mentioned or know that Joe Biden was a single dad raising his 2 boys while he was in the Senate?

Comments like this from a recent New York Times article:
“When I first heard about Palin, I was impressed,” said Pamela Moore, a mother of two from Birmingham, Ala. But upon reading that Ms. Palin’s special-needs child was three days old when she went back to work, Ms. Moore began questioning the governor’s judgment. Partly as a result, she plans to vote for Senator Barack Obama.
I still find her impressive. I'm also a momma who went back to work within just a couple of days of giving birth. I was fortunate to be able to come into the office with baby, work at home some, and whatnot. Not the worst thing in the world. For THAT, she isn't voting for McCain/Palin. I doubt it. She was probably already an Obamabot before she knew that.

If you have a fussy baby, it might be a problem but mine were pretty mild and at that age, they eat, poop, and sleep. They slept for like 18 hours of the day.

What did these moms do with THEIR children while they are participating in all of these activities?
Within minutes of Friday’s announcement that Ms. Palin was joining the Republican ticket, women across the country started flooding blogs devoted to motherhood issues. Administrators of one Web site, D.C. Urban Moms, said they had received hundreds of postings, more than on any other political issue this year. All throughout the holiday weekend, at scrapbooking sessions, on hikes and at barbecues, women talked over the candidacy and the issues it raised.
and Really?
“You can juggle a BlackBerry and a breast pump in a lot of jobs, but not in the vice presidency,” said Christina Henry de Tessan, a mother of two in Portland, Ore., who supports Mr. Obama.
She knows this how? Has she been Vice President? Actually, I think a mother of 5 would know how to juggle more than a mother of 2. I'm a mother of 4 and I always have people ask me how I do everything that I do. They claim there is no way they could do as much because their 1 or 2 children take up all their time? Do I have more hours in the day than them? No, I just think I use more time more effectively and more efficiently. I remember being overwhelmed and stressed with one child. Even two was more difficult. By the time the third and fourth came along, it was a breeze. Old hat trick. Organization, effectiveness, efficiency.
“People who don’t have children or who have only one or two are kind of overwhelmed at the notion of five children,” Ms. Schlafly continued, mentioning that she had raised six children and run for Congress as well. “I think a hard-working, well-organized C.E.O. type can handle it very well.”
I think Sarah Palin is that woman!

Here is a woman who is already doing something similar and struggles with the balance of family/country, Cathy McMorris Rodgers,
In all of Washington, there is perhaps one person whose life most resembles the one that Ms. Palin is pursuing: Representative Cathy McMorris Rodgers, Republican of Washington and mother of an infant son with Down syndrome. Ms. Rodgers cheered Ms. Palin’s entry into the race, saying it would draw attention to the policy needs of children and families.

I've also read on various Mommy Boards differing opinions and judgments on Palin's mommyhood. My opinion, is NONE of us are perfect and we all have to live with our own choices. But how could your mother being Vice President of our great country be that horrible of an atmosphere for a child to grow up in??? Well, possibly only because of the way the drive by media is trashing her and her familly!

No comments: