Monday, October 13, 2008

Another Carter? You gotta be kidding.

I was a kid when Jimmy Carter was in office, but I remember a few things. I remember seeing hostages on the news and hearing Walter Cronkite tick off the days they had been in captivity. I didn’t understand much then, but I knew there were people who didn’t like us… and they were winning. I remember my parents constantly telling me what we couldn’t afford. Vacations. Bicycles. New clothes. I remember how excited my father was when Ronald Reagan was elected. I could tell he expected better days. He was right.

So you’ll have to forgive me for being perplexed that our country could so eagerly embrace the latest iteration of Jimmy Carter (that would be Barack Obama for those arriving late to the party.)

In The American Spectator, Jeffrey Lord reminds us of just how closely Obama’s policies and core philosophies mirror Carter's, and he asks a question I doubt many sitting on Obama’s bandwagon have considered:

IS IT POSSIBLE that America really wants to return to those depressing days of gas lines and leisure suits? Of malaise and shock over the aggressiveness of America's enemies? The days when the policies Obama is advocating raised unemployment rates, interest rates and inflation rates into the double digits? When America's enemies looked the President of the United States in the eye -- and found he really wanted to kiss them on the cheek?

Lord also details how many of Obama’s campaign platforms, from windfall profits taxes for oil companies, to taxing the “wealthy,” to an approach of appeasement on foreign policy are based on the astounding failures of the Carter administration.

For an Ivy Leaguer, this doesn’t seem to indicate much in the way of smarts.

View the full article here:

It’s a good read for those of us who remember Carter. And should serve as an eye-opener for those who don’t.

5 comments:

Sharla said...

Good blog my friend ;) Keep up the good posts and don't be discouraged. The liberal left are showing their true colors in the vile, mean spirited posts and giving proof why some of us will never be able to vote for the same side as them.

Anonymous said...

No single political figure in the history of this nation better exemplifies the demise of minimum standards and competency than Sarah Palin. She is a smack to the face of all educated and informed Americans. Her folksy charm is a shallow attempt to cover up her lack of understanding of the issues and the fact that it works on people like you, is indicative of the times we live in and the low standards we place on politicians. I could care less about her lack of experience, what frightens me is her incompetence to understand the basics that are required of the office for which she is running. Her claims of moral authority, and her desire to impose her beliefs on others is despicable but then again it is right in line with the Republican party.

I encourage you to vote for whomever you believe in. At the same time, I am simply astonished that you, or anyone else, would be so easily hoodwinked by a couple of winks, a few "shucks" and a handful of "by gollys" from such an incompetent as Sarah Palin. Good luck to you, and God Bless America. We need it.

cumiskeyfamilyblog said...

Bicycles? Vacations? New Clothes?
You must've come from a world of privilege. where I come from, those are luxuries. well, as you say, you were a kid. I wasn't. I watched Carter negotiate, and free, those hostages. I watched it happen, and Reagan take credit (hit the books, kiddo). I also remember the interest rates, Reaganomics, and paying 19% for a house and car, with excellent credit. Oh, I pray Obama is the next Carter! What a great Christian. Did you know, he still teaches Sunday School, and it is open to the public?
I'm sorry you heard rumors about going without a vacation, a new bike. Try going without a home. An education. Food. Welcome to Reaganomics. Welcome to the Bush-era. Where you get to be a grown up.

moms4palin said...

When's the Sunday School Class? I would love to attend.

Socks said...

Oh yes, I did come from a world of privelege. I forgot to mention that. I was priveleged to have to skip doctor's visits when I was sick because we couldn't afford them. And not a "new" bike, honey. A bike -- period. A basic thing that most kids have. Vacations in my family didn't mean going to the Caribbean or Disney, it meant going anywhere for any reason. My parents worked all the time, but we still couldn't afford to stay in a hotel for a night or two.

Is Jimmy Carter the one who taught Obama that the Sermon on the Mount was "radical?" Is that what "good Christians" believe?

Ted, as someone who bemoans the collective intellect of the electorate, I'm sure you can appreciate that making a case for why Obama's policies constitute a smarter and better-informed approach to our great country's future would be a slightly more intelligent approach to discourse than petty insults.